No matter how hard you exercise or how well you eat, you may find that you still cannot trim down certain stubborn areas of your body. Contouring of the body, with the use of liposuction by board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Ramin Behmand, is a surgical body-shaping technique that may allow you to obtain the body profile you have always wanted.
Good Candidates for Liposuction
Liposuction may be an appropriate treatment option for you if you have areas of fat on your body that did not seem to respond to diet and exercise, including:
- Upper arms
- Upper and lower Back
Also called liposculpture, liposuction can be combined with other procedures, such as a tummy tuck, for best results. During a tummy tuck, the excess skin is removed, and the remaining skin is tightened while the surrounding areas are treated with liposuction to help achieve the desired balanced contour.
Can liposuction be done in the office?
- Dr. Behmand performs liposuction procedures at our private surgery center under general anesthesia. Smaller areas of liposuction could be considered for regional anesthesia.
Does liposuction get rid of cellulite?
- Liposuction will not get rid of cellulite, but it may help to make it less noticeable in some areas.
Can I transfer fat from one area to another with my liposuction procedure?
- Absolutely! Often patients will have fat transferred to the buttocks or the facial area, depending on where they would like to see more volume. Please inform Dr. Behmand of the areas you hope to improve with fat grafting, to see if you are a suitable candidate for this procedure.
Will I have any bruising or pain with liposuction?
- Most patients do experience pain and soreness for the first few days following liposuction, which can typically be controlled using prescription medication. Most discomfort subsides in less than 1 week, though individual experience varies.
Many patients are likely to have bruising with liposuction. This bruising is concentrated in the area of treatment, but can also travel downward to surrounding areas. The bruising and swelling will commonly peak around days 7-8 of recovery.
What restrictions will I have after having liposuction?
- You will have certain physical restrictions for 4–6 weeks after surgery. This means you cannot exercise, go to the gym, or do any strenuous activity that will excessively increase your heart rate during that time. The objective is to allow the postoperative swelling to resolve at the quickest rate, and achieve the best contour outcome possible. You will also be required to wear a post-surgical compression garment during this recovery period, which can be worn under your everyday clothing.
The Liposuction Procedure
During the procedure, Dr. Behmand will make a small incision near the targeted area and insert a hollow tube called a cannula. Unwanted fat cells are removed through the cannula utilizing an attached suction pump.
There are several variations to the basic liposuction technique. The liposuction method that best fits your needs depends on individual factors, which Dr. Behmand will discuss with you during your consultation. The following techniques may be used during your liposuction procedure:
Fatty tissue is pre-injected with a saline solution containing small amounts of adrenaline and local anesthetic. This technique is typically used by Dr. Behmand when performing liposuction in larger areas and serves to help minimize blood-loss, increase the quantity of fat removed, and to improve your comfort both during and after the procedure.
Ultrasound-assisted liposuction or UAL:
This is a two-step process that uses sound wave energy to break down and liquefy the fat before it is suctioned. This technique is often most useful in highly fibrous fatty areas such as the upper abdomen, enlarged male breasts, and the lateral thigh and hip areas.
Much like the ultrasound-assisted liposuction, the fat is first broken down by the laser cannula and then suctioned out with traditional liposuction.
This method is commonly used to treat delicate areas of the body, such as the face and neck. Dr. Behmand uses a liposuction syringe rather than a suction pump in these cases, so that he can more accurately achieve finely contoured detail.
With all liposuction techniques mentioned above, Dr. Behmand feels that the best outcome is achieved when using the most delicate-sized cannulas. Using smaller-sized cannulas typically results in a smoother and more attractive body contour. The recent developments in technique have been instrumental in allowing Dr. Behmand to provide enhanced results and greater comfort during liposuction procedures. Anesthesia, too, can be customized to suit your preference. Depending on the size of the area to be treated, you and Dr. Behmand can decide on the level of anesthesia that will best serve your needs.
Recovery After Liposuction
After your liposuction procedure, you will likely be fitted with an elastic compression garment to help the swelling go down. Most patients return to work within one week after liposuction. Dr. Behmand recommends walking and other types of gentle movement to maximize your blood circulation and healing. More demanding activities should be put off until about one month after surgery, or as determined by Dr. Behmand.
“Thanks for everything since day one. You all are the best and I’m super happy to have gone with Dr Behmand, his work is amazing ( I’m thinking on what to get done next!). Again thank you all for everything!”
If you would like to learn more about what liposuction or a tummy tuck could do for you, please contact our office today. Dr. Behmand will meet with you personally, and help you decide on the best way to look and feel your best.