For most women, childbirth and becoming a mother are two of the most beautiful and transforming experiences in life. However, childbirth can affect the body in many different ways. Some patients are lucky enough that with proper diet and exercise, they are able to return to their pre-baby body. For others, even with the strictest of diets and exercise, the pre-baby body is still unattainable. This could be due to genetics, hormones, breast feeding, or simply an excess of skin from body growth during pregnancy, which typically no amount of diet or exercise can reduce.
If you have noticed excess skin and an inability to bounce back to your pre-pregnancy state, we encourage you to read further and see if a Mommy Makeover might be a good option for you.
- What is a Mommy Makeover?
- A Mommy Makeover is a combination of multiple procedures designed to help restore the body after childbirth and pregnancy. This can include any combination of abdominal procedures (abdominoplasty, lower body lift), breast procedures (breast augmentation, breast lift, or breast reduction), liposuction, or fat grafting. A Mommy Makeover will be tailored to your unique anatomic needs and expressed goals.
- How do I determine what procedures are appropriate for my Mommy Makeover?
- The first step is to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Behmand. Upon meeting with you, Dr. Behmand will perform an exam and discuss your concerns. Then he will recommend a combination of procedures that offer the best opportunity to achieve your desired results.
- How much will my Mommy Makeover cost?
- Due to the fact that a Mommy makeover can involve several different procedures and is different for each patient, we will not be able to determine this until after your consultation. After meeting with Dr. Behmand, you will meet with his coordinator to receive a detailed quote including the surgical fees, anesthesia fees, and operating room fees.
- Do I need to have any tests or lab work done prior to having my Mommy Makeover?
- Yes. You will need to have lab work done within 30 days of your procedure. Dr. Behmand’s surgery coordinator will provide you with a lab requisition form during a pre-operative appointment. Some patients might also need an EKG. This will be determined during your initial consultation, and, if necessary, Dr. Behmand’s coordinator will provide you with this requisition form at the pre-operative appointment as well.
- Is my procedure going to be painful?
- Some discomfort during the initial week following surgery is normal. However, you will be given prescription pain medication to make this a more comfortable process and to help manage your pain. There are also long-acting anesthetics that can be used during your procedure, which can often make your first 3-4 days after surgery much more comfortable. Dr. Behmand can discuss this with you during your consultation and determine if you are a good candidate for a long-acting anesthetic.
- How long after childbirth should I wait to have my Mommy Makeover?
- You should wait at least 3 months after you finish breastfeeding and be close to your goal weight.
- Should I be completely done having children before having my Mommy Makeover?
- Ideally, you will want to be done having children. However, some patients may want to see an instant result if they do not plan to have children for several years, and they are interested in having a procedure done to help them enjoy their body more during the longer period between children. Having a procedure done will not complicate your chances of getting pregnant again, but it may require a future revision after having additional children.
- If I get pregnant again following my Mommy Makeover, can I still breastfeed?
- Most women who were able to breastfeed before having surgery are still able to do so after surgery. Some types of breast lift or reduction procedures may decrease the ability to breastfeed. If future breastfeeding is a concern, Dr. Behmand will suggest options that will maximize the ability to breastfeed after the Mommy Makeover surgery while still offering the best opportunity to achieve the desired aesthetic results.
- Will insurance cover my procedure?
- Most procedures involved in a Mommy Makeover are elective and considered cosmetic; therefore, they are not covered by insurance. One exception to this is a breast reduction procedure. In some circumstances, this could potentially be covered by insurance. Your insurance company will have many prerequisites in order for this to be approved, including providing proper documentation of conservative treatment before electing to have surgery.