Over time, some patients find that age can cause the skin on the forehead to droop or furrow together, prompting others to ask if they are upset, tired, or even angry–regardless of how they may actually be feeling. Often, the “angry” furrows between the brows and forehead wrinkles can be improved non-surgically with the use of BOTOX® Cosmetic, soft tissue fillers, or similar injectable products. However, if the brows have become significantly droopy due to aging, the use of BOTOX® Cosmetic-like products and fillers, while smoothing the forehead, may actually create a “heavy” or more tired appearance on the eyes and brows, which may negate any improvement the treatment provides. In these instances, proper surgical repositioning and tightening of the brows would produce a more natural-looking and refreshed appearance to the upper face. When patients are properly selected, a minimally-invasive brow lift can improve deep frown lines and horizontal forehead creases while reducing the droopy appearance of the eyebrows, and it may ultimately help to match expression and mood.
Brow Lift Consultation
During the consultation, Dr. Behmand will evaluate not only the forehead, but also the area around the eyes, the eyelids, and the overall face. The goal is to develop a treatment plan that produces natural-appearing results while maintaining harmony between the upper, mid, and lower parts of the face. Dr. Behmand feels that improvements gained as a result of rejuvenating facial cosmetic surgery should enhance desirable facial features and maintain natural expressions. In some cases, the effect of a minimally-invasive brow lift can be complemented by other procedures, such as a facelift, eyelid surgery, or laser resurfacing. Patients interested in additional procedures can discuss these goals with Dr. Behmand during the initial consultation. He will go over a range of treatment options that may be able to address specific concerns.
- Are the incisions visible?
- No. Brow lift incisions are small and hidden in the hairline.
- Can this be done with another procedure?
- Absolutely! Patients frequently combine brow lift with upper or lower blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), facelift, and/or rhinoplasty. Some patients will also combine a brow lift with certain body procedures to optimize their recovery time.
- Can this be done under local anesthesia?
- Typically, a brow lift is performed under intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
- Are the results similar to that of BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- No. A brow lift tightens your brows, slightly lifting the sides. This tightening reduces the appearance of excess skin and can often make you appear more youthful and alert. As a result of a brow lift, you may strain less to raise your brows, which can also help decrease your forehead lines. However, it is not a replacement for BOTOX® Cosmetic. BOTOX® Cosmetic is designed to smooth the forehead by reducing muscle activity. If BOTOX® injections are administered in someone with low positioned brows, the brows may appear even lower, creating suboptimal cosmetic results and a feeling that the brows are too “heavy.” A patient experiencing this issue may wish to consider a brow lift, after which they may be a good candidate for BOTOX® Cosmetic.
The Brow Lift Procedure
The brow lift procedure is designed to be as minimally-invasive as possible. Through small, typically well-concealed incisions made along the hairline, and with the assistance of a delicate fiber optic camera for visualization, the skin around the brows is freed from its low position, tightened, and replaced slightly higher and to the side to a more youthful position. The small scalp incisions are closed with self-dissolving sutures, which disappear as the incisions heal.
In some instances, patients may wish to shorten the forehead if they consider it excessively long or prominent. In a forehead shortening procedure, the brows are lifted and the hairline is moved into a lower, more youthful position. This procedure is ideal for patients with a naturally high-positioned hairline. By shortening the forehead, the proportions of the upper, mid, and lower face are often rebalanced, and the appearance of aging that a long forehead can sometimes create may be eliminated.
In preparation for the procedure, detailed and printed instructions will be provided as part of the pre-operative packet for care after surgery. Patients will typically require at least one week to rest and relax in the comfort of home to help recover from the brow lift operation. Dr. Behmand may advise an alternate recovery period based on the individual’s specific health history, age, and/or performance of additional procedures.
“Thank you so much for all of your help and support these past few months. I am incredibly happy with my results and can not thank you enough! I truly feel you listened to me and wanted the very best for me. I can honestly say I had a wonderful experience with you and going through with the surgery.”
After the brow lift is complete, individuals often find that their face has a naturally rested and refreshed look. Our patients commonly report a boost in confidence in their professional and personal lives, due to their new, more youthful appearance. Patients interested to know more about brow lift and whether it suits their needs should contact our office today to schedule a consultation.
Brow Lift Cost
$5500-$6500, based on the total length of time required for your procedure.